Sunday, August 12, 2012

Exciting Stuff

Even though we have been melting through a heat wave around here, there has still been lots going on. This morning before church (when it was still only 90 degrees instead of the 105 degrees it currently is as 1:30 in the afternoon) Justin and I trimmed up the garlic that has been curing outside since before our summer adventures. Then we picked our first ever Butterscotch melon. I thought I was planting cucumbers, but some of these melon seeds were apparently in the packet instead. Surprise! It was so tasty, Justin and I renamed it "Candy Melon!" Yesterday Justin also picked our first ever watermelon. It, too, is a baby variety, and Justin declared it the sweetest watermelon he had ever tasted. He enjoyed it as a cool-off snack while at the swimming pool.


Justin enjoying his candy  melon


In other news, after 2 weeks of observing, participating, researching, seeking guidance, and praying, Dave and I have decided to home school Justin for this year. We are blessed with a thriving home schooling community around us and have access to a public charter "school" that provides free resources for home schooling families. Justin will be able to take workshops there with other kids, and we will have a mentor teacher to help us select the best curriculum for us and help us on a weekly basis.

We experienced last year how fun and natural learning can be at his preschool, and we've seen how Justin's passion for learning comes alive in a smaller setting with more direct adult interaction and more creative, open-ended activities. I wish I had a $1 for each person who has told me (including his kindergarten teacher) that kindergarten today is what 1st grade used to be like. We feel that Justin, as a still-new 5 year old, will learn best this year in a more flexible and interactive environment with lots of creative projects, workshops, and shared lessons/activities with other home schooling friends. We're all very excited about our new adventure! Justin is most excited about signing up for the Beginning Pottery workshop at his new school :D

No comments:

Post a Comment