Sunday, September 1, 2013

Tomato Bounty

I planted several tomato plants in tremulous faith before leaving on our summer adventures. Once again, I was pleasantly surprised to return home and find that they had survived and were thriving! 

Each year, it seems one particular plant does extremely well. Last year, it was our orange cherry tomatoes (which Justin nicknamed "candy"). This year, it's our orange "Kellogg's Breakfast" tomatoes. Just tonight, I harvested 15 pounds of tomatoes, 80% of which were orange! The going rate at the grocery store for organic, heirloom tomatoes is $5 a pound.

I'll pause a moment for you to do the math.

That's right, I just harvested $75 worth of organic heirloom tomatoes!! And that was just this evening! I also picked two baskets full of cherry tomatoes (one red, one orange). Those are worth another $4 or $5 from the store.

Now, to figure out what to do with them all! I already have 4 pints of sauce and 4 pints of crushed tomatoes from my tomato harvest last week. It's amazing how many tomatoes it takes to fill a pint jar once they're cooked down a bit.

I hope your gardens are flourishing!




No comments:

Post a Comment