I have German blood in my veins. An inherent trait of Germanity is taking a delight in efficiency. No, I must phrase it more strongly. It's a non-negotiable necessity to do all things in the quickest way that will still get the results I am wanting. I know I am not alone in this. Well, I believe I am alone in this in my immediate family. But, the apple does not fall far from the tree. I doubled up on this trait with nature AND nurture growing up. Therefore, my need ("need" is such an innocent sounding word, but it really does not convey the sheer torture every cell of my body experiences when I must endure doing something with someone that takes extra steps, extra time, extra energy, extra resources, etc. My insides literally crawl with pain when this happens. Those of you who know me well should appreciate how well I mask this torture. Sometimes. When I'm in a really good mood.)
![]() |
| Justin working on painting his mice in his own, anti-efficient way |
But, I am proud and humble enough to admit that today, I took the longer, harder, more complicated, more time-consuming, energy-consuming, resource-consuming path with Justin. And I was glad!
Justin is reading a story about a mouse who gets into trouble with a weasel; he is also learning about how animals survive the winter (well, winter in places like some of you live where it is not possible to survive without extra stuff). I had planned to combine the two into an art project. I wanted him to draw a picture of a tree (so easy, so fast!) and make a little mouse nest in the bottom. Then he would write words that rhyme with "mouse" (i.e. house, spouse, grouse, douse...I dare any of you to come up with anymore that using the same -ouse ending!) Fast. Easy. Efficient. Everyone with me?
Enter Justin into the equation. He listened to my idea and got really excited. And proceeded to say, "Yeah! I want to do a 3-D tree! Can we do that, Mom?"
3-D does not qualify as efficient. Not in any stretch of the imagination. I stalled. I distracted. I negotiated. No dice.
![]() |
| Still working on those mice...but aren't they cute? |
Anyway, it turns out salt dough has 3 ingredients. Hmmmm, that's a pretty short list. So I mustered up my energy, patience, and love for my son, and we did it.
And, wow! I am so glad we didn't do the drawing. Our tree and mouse nest rock! (...if I do say so myself, which, this being my blog, I am entitled and expected to do so.) Justin also made a peregrine falcon and a baby peregrine falcon and has been playing all evening with the falcons chasing the mice and them scurrying into their tree bottom nest.
![]() |
| Of course the picture doesn't do them justice. But they are really cute! |
PS: I fully acknowledge the irony of a lengthy post on the topic of efficiency. However, as I mentioned above, this is my blog and I can do what I like! :D



Wonder from whom you interited your delight in a direct route to efficiency...vs. enjoying the moment and taking the meandering path through life...since both Dad and I have German blood in us...though ONE of us has more than the other!!:) hehe! Great post...and Justin, I LOVE your 3D tree and birds!!! Love, Nana
ReplyDeleteI never knew that about you. Proverbs 16:9 is food for thought for all of us. Tell Justin I'll go out tomorrow to get a bag of peanuts and see if I can attract a blue jay friend. I totally forgot about that.
ReplyDelete