It finally came: "Henny Penny!" burst out of his mouth prior to more sobs.
Henny Penny? I'm thinking frantically. The chicken who died peacefully of old age 8 months ago?!?
I feel the need to clarify. "You're sad about Henny Penny? Our old chicken?"
"Yeeeeeeeeessssssss." The sobs continue. It turns out he had been watching old videos on his personal video camera and had seen one with Henny Penny in it and the grief just hit him. He never cried at the time or showed much of any reaction at all, actually. He's lost several of his "pet" chickens over the years and has never reacted like this!
I asked him if there was anything in particular he missed about Henny Penny, and he said, "No, she was just a really good chicken!" I have to admit, I was biting my lips to keep from laughing at this point. My heart went out to him, but I thought it was really funny at the same time (don't judge me...I know there are times you laughed at something your child was crying over!!)
When he finally calmed down, he announced his determination to purchase a new Henny Penny (a.k.a. Rhode Island Red). After 15 hours of nonstop planning, Dave finally convinced him to rename one of the chickens we currently have.
Success!!
I would like to introduce you to Henny Penny 2!



No comments:
Post a Comment