Friday, August 1, 2014

Final Views of the Grand Canyon

Our final voyage through the park took us to the eastern side where we toured some ancient indian ruins (rock foundations on the ground). You really had to use your imagination. If we had known earlier, we could have planned our route to exit the eastern side of the Canyon and continue south to some good ruins just north of Flagstaff. Next time!

We climbed the Watchtower (after spending so long in Mormon country I kept thinking it was tied into their religion...or am I confusing them with the Latter Day Saints?). Anyway, it turns out it was a uniquely designed structure based off of ancient indian ruins found in the southeastern United States. It was designed in the 20s or 30s by a female architect (the name is currently escaping me) who also designed many of the other structures in Grand Canyon Village. It was made to look ancient, but knowing it was fairly modern made me feel like I was at Disneyland: a great experience and effect, but a little false. Regardless, the views from the top were even more astounding than any we had seen yet.

The Watchtower. Designed and built in the 1930s to look ancient.

View from the Watchtower

View from the Watchtower
A funny side story: once again the heat had crept up so it was no longer safe to leave Koty in the car. His poor feet had been burned on the concrete a couple days before and Dave had to run with him from shady spot to shady spot, taking a rest in the shade each time. We finally made it to the Watchtower (it was only a 1/4 mile path) and Dave rested with Koty in the shade while Justin and I toured the tower. We came out and switched. While I was waiting with Koty, a man who was a native spanish speaker took a look at Koty and, with a twinkle in his eye said, "Ah! A Chihuahua!" I laughed and said, "No, no Chihuahua!" He looked at Koty some more and then said, "Ah, Chihuahua americano, no?!" Even though traveling with Koty can be inconvenient, the moments when we have instant camaraderie with complete strangers and a human connection we would have never otherwise shared is priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment