Justin and I are co-reading Little House in the Big Woods for school this year. I first read the book to him several years ago and he loved it. We enjoyed the audio version of it on one of our road trips to Minnesota a couple years ago. And now Justin is reading it on his own (we take turns reading since the chapters are so long). Each time we get something new out of it.
This time, while reading about how Pa, Ma, Laura, and Mary celebrated Christmas in their little one room cabin in the Wisconsin woods, Justin and I both noticed the reference to Ma making something called Vinegar Pie. Justin asked me what it was and, since I had no idea, I offered to google it (how did people ever learn anything before the internet?).
We found several recipes for it and chose one that used ingredients we had on hand. It reminded us a bit of a lemon curd type texture but the tang came from apple cider vinegar instead of lemon juice. We decided to top it with strawberries (something Ma Ingalls most certainly did NOT have in the dead of a Wisconsin winter!) but Justin thought they added just the right touch.
![]() |
| Justin holding up the finished "Vinegar Pie" based on a recipe from Little House in the Big Woods |

No comments:
Post a Comment