
I know this isn't a food blog per se, but I couldn't resist sharing this recipe I created for Zucchini Bread. When I returned home from our trip, my zucchini plants had finally begun producing. Now I get to come up with new ways of preparing zucchini every day. Of course Zucchini Bread tops the list. But, when I went to look up a recipe (in my trusted BH&G cookbook), I was pretty appalled at the amount of sugar. When I looked up a popular recipe online I was even more appalled at the even higher amount of sugar and the abominable amount of fat. So I just took the original recipe from Better Homes & Gardens and made some adjustments. If anyone actually makes this, I hope you enjoy it as much as Justin and I do! (Dave hasn't tried it yet and at the rate J and I are snacking there might not be any left before he gets home tonight :)
Betsy's Healthier Zucchini Bread
3/4 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cups whole wheat flour
2 Tablespoons ground flax seed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons agave syrup*
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
grated lemon rind of 1/2 lemon
1. Prepare loaf pan (grease if necessary, depending on your pan). Mix together flours, ground flax seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
2. In another bowl, combine sugar, agave syrup, zucchini, olive oil, lemon juice, and lemon rind. Mix well, then add dry mixture to zucchini mixture. Stir just until moistened.
3. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake in a 350 degree oven 50-55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
*Agave syrup is becoming more and more readily available in grocery stores. It is similar in color and texture to honey, but it does not affect your blood sugar at all like refined sugars do.
No comments:
Post a Comment