Saturday, October 25, 2008

Is it Christmas Already?!

As I'm sitting here peacefully enjoying my morning coffee as the sun filters gently in through the window and I leisurely meander around the internet, I grin to myself every once in a while as I hear the following comments from the living room: "Justin, give Daddy back the ratchet; wait, wait, wait! where are you going with that screw? No, I need that, give it back please. Thank you. (echoed a moment later with Justin's version of thank you: digh-uhn!) Ok, Justin turn the page on the directions...why are you sitting on the directions? Ok, just...wait-why...wh-aughhh!"

What is going on, you ask? Well, I'll (slightly sheepishly) admit that we took a family trip to IKEA last night and all fell in love with the children's table and chair sets. And dish set. And tea set (yes, we bought our son a tea set...if you had seen him pretending to stir his tea and pour in milk and sugar and sip from the little tea cup...well, only a heartless monster would have denied him that joy!). Sooo, we bought a table and chairs for Justin, and the dish set, and the hot beverage drinking set (yes, I know Christmas is right around the corner, but he looked so cute sitting at the little table drinking his, er, coffee).

My real question is when did Justin learn to pretend? He was making "psssss" noises as he "poured" from one container to the other, smacking his lips in his pretend eating way as he brought the silverware to his mouth, using the spoon to stir whatever was in his cup.


PS...We, uh, also bought Justin an art easel (chalk board on one side, wipe board on the other) with a roll of paper for Christmas (assuming we can wait that long :), so accessories for the table/chairs and art supplies would be welcome from anyone looking for gift ideas!

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, you are really raising a California baby aren't you? A tea set??? You've got to be kidding me! I'm thinking a football or basketball or anything with a ball in it would be a better suited Christmas gift ;) A tea set? Maybe we'll send some Barbie's or perhaps anything that has the color pink on it. Maybe he would like a pretend make-up kit and hand bag so he can carry with him weherever he goes!

    So those of you who don't understand my sarcasm...I am kidding...although, a tea set? I mean come on. You have to agree with me on this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, come on...we do live in the same half of the state as San Francisco! And there's only ONE pink cup in the set...the rest are manly blue, green and ambiguous yellow.

    And don't worry, he loves footballs and trucks and tractors and animals and dirt and bugs and sand and all those other "boy" things (except he does like, gulp, Barney).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one more clarification: the set didn't actually come with a tea pot. So, officially, it's NOT a tea set. Besides, he's never even seen anyone drinking tea, so he doesn't even know what tea is. Coffee, definitely.

    ReplyDelete