At one point I hopped into the car and shut the door with Justin (feeling much safer with a solid car between us). The horses were at that point sniffing around the back of our truck, which was open because Dave had started unloading. This was the only shot I could get of them (short of risking life and limb and actually climbing back outside the car).
Freaky scary horses (seriously!)
"Go home!" Dave tries again. "Dave, they're not stray dogs!" Finally Dave takes Koty and runs down the road to the field the horses were in went we arrived. The horses followed, amazingly! Dave and Koty came running back a minute later. Without the horses. "Where'd they go?" I said. "I don't know, we ditched them!" Dave said, continuing to look over his shoulder. But the horses were gone. I mean really gone. We saw (literally) neither hide nor hair of them, nor did we hear them or see any trace that they had ever existed. Weird, huh?
Thankfully, that was our biggest excitement of the trip. It settled down to routine camping after that. Phew! We only camped one night, but it was enough for Justin. Or, rather, it was enough for me and Dave! The camping went great but the night...well, it's best forgotten.
Enjoying our nature walk

Justin reading by the fire
(he's not as close as he looks)

The next morning (notice the bed head?!)

Dave and Justin ready for our 5 mile hike

Dave, Betsy, Justin, and Koty at Duck Lake

Have you ever seen a more perfect pine cone?

An old building near Duck Lake
(settler's cabin? cowboy shack? summer retreat?)
There was the following "notice" posted on the building
but no explanation of what the building was


Betsy, this is hilarious!
ReplyDeleteI just wish there were a pic of you (and Justin?) on the picnic table!!
And I can just hear Dave saying "Shoo" and "Go Home" to the unwelcome horse intruders!
Hope this is only the beginning of MANY memorable camping experiences for the 3 of you!(and you, too, Koty...the brave horse "scarer-off-er"!!) :)
Love, Mom