Thursday, March 10, 2011

Garden and Spring Progress

Dave was mowing the front yard this morning and Justin came running in yelling, "Mommy, Mommy, come see! A too-yip is byooming!" I didn't quite believe him because the last I checked all the tulips were still only a few inches tall.

Sure enough, one of the ones he picked out himself at Lowe's last fall was indeed blooming! I had forgotten they were short, early blooming tulips.


While I had the camera out he insisted on taking a picture of Dave mowing the lawn. I figured it was a nice update from our landscaping project progress from last fall.


After finishing the front yard Dave moved on to continue work on the garden in back. Remember, just a few weeks ago it looked like this!


The white PVC hoops over the beds are for fabric to screen out too much sun, pests, or frost as necessary (we don't have the fabric yet). I can even use plastic to turn each bed into a mini-greenhouse if I want. The tee pee shaped structure in the middle will be surrounded by plants that love to climb (melon, winter squash, cucumbers, pole beans) and the plants will form the sides of the tee pee, creating a little secret spot for Justin to play in.

2 1/2 of the beds are now planted and 2 of the beds are covered in green pea, turnip, chard, lettuce, and beet shoots!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Green grass. You've done so much work and it looks great.

    ReplyDelete