Friday, January 25, 2013

Super Chicken

Yesterday I had a (what I thought would be fun for Justin) drawing/writing activity where Justin could finish the following: "If I were a superhero..." There was space for him to draw a picture and finish the sentence.

But he was in a "I only am going to do what I want to do" mood and refused to do it. So I opened it up and gave him freedom to write whatever and wherever he wanted to, but that the lesson was to practice his writing. Before I knew it, he was in front of our white board easel working hard at composing--not the ending of a sentence, but a short story. It was super cute (no pun intended!) and he was extremely proud of himself, as he should be. He only asked for help spelling one or two words (click picture to see it larger).

Author and illustrator Justin Standlee

My favorite part is the cape he drew on Super Chicken!

Here is a translation:

One day I was out and a fox came and almost got me. But Super Chicken got me and put me at Safe Land. I better introduce myself. I am Justin.

I love the way he spelled "introduce"! I also love how he added an "e" to the end of "almost" to make it a long "o" sound. At one point he asked me if spelling "safe" followed the magic "e" rule or the "when 2 vowels go walking" rule. I love seeing evidence of how much is sinking into his incredible brain :)



No comments:

Post a Comment