Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Budding Artist (no pun intended)

There is an art workshop at Justin's school which we go to sometimes. It's a little hit or miss (the teacher is a bit ambitious in her expectations of teaching art to K-3rd graders...last week she tried to teach them about Andy Warhol; I barely know who he is!).

Since he opted out of the art class yesterday, (a wise choice, I might add, as the lesson was doing a self portrait of themselves on the beach. A kindergartener doing a self portrait?! He's still doing stick figures lol!!) I decided to adapt an art lesson from a previous class that was age-appropriate and re-create it here at home. When I told Justin what I had in mind and asked him if it sounded like something he wanted to do, his eyes lit up and he exuded an enthusiastic "YES!"

So, we armed ourselves with sketchbooks and headed out into our backyard to do some sketches of spring beauty. This is what he sketched:

Daffodil

Pansy

Justin's favorite chicken: Flowers

This was only the first part of the plan. After our initial sketches, we came in and recreated our drawings with water color or oil pastels. Here are his re-creations:

Pansy, in watercolor

Flowers, in oil pastel
 Then, as so often happens, Justin took the project in his own direction. I had to go change a load of laundry, and when I came back, I found him painted a fireworks picture with watercolors. I love it!

Fireworks, watercolor

No comments:

Post a Comment