Sunday, March 10, 2013

I Get to Do This (!)

Last week when we had my niece and nephew (Brianna and Carl) here to visit, I went the extra mile and made sure all (most) of the food I prepared was gluten free (on top of being dairy and soy free as usual for Justin). I loved being able to provide safe and tasty food for them. I loved that I had all the necessary substitute ingredients on hand to whip up that impromptu batch of chocolate covered cookies with my sister-in-law Eme (they were supposed to be imitation Thin Mints...HA! But they were still yummy and the kids gobbled them up anyway).

We got a new batch of chicks yesterday. Justin is in seventh heaven! He talks to the chicks, holds the chicks, checks on them scores of time each day. He goes to them first thing in the morning and spends his last waking moments before climbing into bed saying a sweet good night to each individual chick. In between chick time, he spends his normal amount of time out with the adult hens in our chicken yard.

Yesterday, he asked if we could invite his friend and family over today for a spontaneous "Chick Party." They were free, so a chick party was born! I thought I would make up a batch of celebratory spring-like cupcakes in honor of the chicks. His friend's dad is allergic to chocolate, so I went with lemon and raspberry flavors (more appropriate for spring anyway).

As I was whipping up the raspberry-marshmallow frosting, the thought popped into my head how happy it made me to be doing this. I get to do this! I thought to myself. I had a moment of feeling incredibly blessed that I have the experience, skill, and resources necessary to be able to make adjustments for various allergies and still make special, fancy food! I know I'm not the only one in the world who can do this, but I'm very thankful that I do get to do this :D

Happy (almost) Spring!

Our six new chicks: 2 Buff Orpington, 1 Gold Laced Wyandotte, and 3 Silver Laced Wyandotte

Lemon cupcakes with raspberry marshmallow frosting and naturally dyed sugar sprinkles

Justin: his excitement and enjoyment make all the extra work worth it!

1 comment:

  1. You are amazing, Betsy. It was seemed so effortless and was much appreciated! I came home with a renewed sense of "I can do this". I tried two new baking recipes and both were delicious. Thank you for your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete