Thursday, January 12, 2017

Chef Justin

A couple months ago I overheard Justin tell my mom on the phone that he had been meaning to ask me if he could start making dinner once a week or so. (!) My parents gave him a cookbook for Christmas and hardly a day has gone by since that he hasn't asked to bake or cook something from it.

As I planned the menu for January, I asked Justin to pick out a meal from his cookbook to prepare for the family. Tonight was his night to cook, and it went great! I was even able to throw him a few curve balls every cook needs to learn to deal with such as: how to cook only partially thawed out ground beef because I forgot to take it out of the freezer soon enough; substituting black beans for kidney because somehow I neglected to buy them at the grocery store; and substituting taco seasoning for the chili powder because I didn't check my supply before grocery shopping and I was out! Extra life lessons for free. He'll thank me later ;)

Justin, proudly displaying Chile Con Carne with Rice, made completely by him

1 comment:

  1. Good for Justin. All the men in our family are great cooks.

    ReplyDelete