Monday, January 31, 2011

Justin's Honesty

This afternoon I was at the kitchen table looking over the new recipe I was going to make for dinner. I looked up and saw Justin tip-toeing through the kitchen and up to the refrigerator. Knowing something was up, I asked him what he was doing.

He responded in a whisper: "I'm being really quiet so you won't hear me doing something bad!"

Already laughing inside my head and not quite believing he was being so honest about it, I asked him in a matching whisper, "What are you going to do that's bad?"

Still whispering he replied, "I'm going to go in the freezer and put something in my tummy that's bad for me."

"Oh," I calmly whispered back, "Like what?"

"Those really yummy peanut butter cookies I found last week!"

(The same peanut butter cookies Dave had made for some of our high school kids who came over that I had frozen to keep out of sight that Justin somehow found while rummaging through the freezer one early morning before Dave and I were awake. They are of course filled with wheat and butter, both of which Justin is allergic to.) He was miserable the night after he ate them but apparently thought the immediate pleasure of eating them would offset the upcoming pain.

Thinking quickly, I said, "Justin, did you know that we can make really yummy peanut butter cookies that don't make your body hurt?" His eyes lit up and he said, "No, I didn't know that!"

So of course we made peanut butter cookies that are Justin-friendly. (And he loves them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment