Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Hot Rock Crayon "Painting"



Today Justin and I tried a new activity that I read about here. First we found some nice sized rocks outside, brought them in and washed them off. Then we put them in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. While we were waiting I peeled the wrappers off several crayons. Justin had a hard time limiting himself and kept pulling out "just one more" color to add to the collection.

When the timer went off, I placed the hot rocks on the protected table and Justin went to it.

Here is Justin's reaction when he touched the first crayon to the hot rock and he saw what happened:

He really got into it, and we went through 3 batches of rocks before he'd finally had his fill.


It was really fun to watch the melted wax drip and cover the hot rocks. This one was my favorite:


Justin claimed they were all his favorite. He has a hard time picking just one favorite of anything!

Here are all of the painted rocks (and Justin making a silly face):




No comments:

Post a Comment