Anyway, Dave made a reference to the twins as Twinkies to some friends and soon after they showed up on our doorstep with a nicely gift-wrapped box of Twinkies in honor of the babies. Justin, who up to this point in his life had no notion that there was such an invention as Twinkies in the world, was in awe. After the usual explaining to him that they have a plethora of ingredients he's allergic to (I didn't actually use the word "plethora" in my explanation to him) I went on to quickly reassure him that we could always make our own Twinkies and they would taste much, much better anyway (I have to admit I hoped he would quickly forget about the notion once the Twinkie box was out of sight).
Well, even after the box was quickly stashed on the highest shelf of a cupboard that Justin never opens, he would not stop talking about making Twinkies. Almost daily at some point he has asked if today was the day we could make our own Twinkies. Usually he asked this as I was in the middle of making dinner or as he was getting jammies on, so the timing was never right. But today was the day. They are not the traditional Twinkie shape because I am simply not going to buy a whole pan (yes, they actually make a pan just for making homemade Twinkies) for something that tastes exactly the same in another shape. And I think our heart shaped Twinkies are far superior to the original! Justin was bowled over and is officially a fan.
After cutting out a heart-shaped middle,
Justin piped in the fluffy meringue frosting.
Justin piped in the fluffy meringue frosting.




Congrats! I didn't know you were having twins! I hope you've been feeling well. Take care and keep us posted!
ReplyDeleteHow many 3 yr olds (almost 4) can use the pastry squeezer thing (don't know what it's called)?
ReplyDelete